“It is understanding that gives us an ability to have peace. When we understand the other fellow’s viewpoint, and he understand ours, then we can sit down and if there are differences work them out.”
-Harry S. Truman
It is important that we take the time to understand one another whenever we have differing viewpoints on something we may strongly believe in. Seems simple enough right? But unfortunately for whatever reason it seems rather a complex thing to do for most especially as of late. People may blame the daily news reports or social media that presents one viewpoint in an effort to get a rise out of those who support that viewpoint or those that oppose it. And the sad thing is it is getting worse. Today’s quote by Former President Harry S. Truman I hope serves as a reminder that peace within us and between us can only occur when we take the time to understand one another.
We need to remember that when we understand someone else and their viewpoint it does not mean we agree with them. Quite the contrary. By working to understand one another we can work towards creating a peaceful compromise in solving the disagreement. The bottom line is this: we need to be respectful of one another and the only person we can control is us and our response. In 2017 Najima Khorrami of the Huffington Post wrote a blog about 5 Tips To Be More Understanding:
1. Assume the least about the other person, reserving your judgment as much as possible, while showing genuine empathy. “Our days are happier when we give people a piece of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.” Empathy and understanding can bring satisfaction to us while providing comfort to others.
2. Try to listen to understand, rather than listening to reply. Be a vessel of comfort.
3. Give your own self the most understanding. Make sure you give yourself permission to express yourself, remember it is okay to feel a certain way and be kind to yourself.
4. Consider learning to understand others as a strength, not as a weakness. By becoming more understanding and empathetic the more quality friendships you may gain, or lives you may uplift.
5. Remember, you get back what you ask for. We need to be courageous enough to look for it: whether it is to be understood or to understand others. It takes effort.
Try and apply these 5 tips each and everyday to help you be more understanding in an effort to increase the peace between us all.
What does this quote mean to you and how can you apply today’s message towards becoming more socially aware?